Youth of the Year Scholarship Program
Keeping in mind the educational obstacles faced by many of our youth members, the Youth of the Year Scholarship Program was established in 2005 to encourage academic success and a college-going culture among students. The scholarship program is a year-round youth development program for Boys & Girls Club members ages 10 – 18.
Youth that compete must:
- Be a member of a Club
- Be able to show they are a leader
- Perform community and club service,
- Speak well about what the Club means to them,
- And be strong in character.
The Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club of Metropolitan Houston consists of five clubs representing over 3,000 youth served annually.
Youth of the Year Contest
Each fall, the Salvation Army Boys & Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Houston holds a Youth of the Year Contest in which all youth who meet the requirements can compete in a speech and interview contest judged by local community leaders.
The participants are responsible for completing a three minute speech about how they have been positively affected personally and academically by club leaders and fellow members. After listening to each of the students, the judges choose winners in each age group based on the content, presentation, and overall message of the speech.
Winners and finalists in each of the divisions are awarded college scholarships at the annual Youth of the Year Scholarship Banquet.
- More than 40 Club members compete each year from all 5 Club locations and our International Corps.
- In 2008, the Youth of the Year Scholarship Banquet was established to showcase participants and raise funds for scholarships and program operating support.
- Since 2005, the Salvation Army Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Houston have awarded 160 Youth of the Year winners over $1 million in scholarships.
- Currently we have 21 enrolled in college, 17 have graduated college, and 55 are still in junior high or high school.
- Winners have enrolled in schools such as Texas A&M, Houston Baptist University, Sam Houston State University, the University of Houston, and many out of state universities.
- Top award winners have received up to $30,000 in scholarship awards.
- The overall Youth of the Year winner goes on to participate in the State Competition.
For more information
To learn more about The Salvation Army Boys & Girls Clubs and our Youth of the Year Scholarship Program, please call 832-201-8076.