You Volunteer and Your Company Donates for Every Hour You Work
CORPORATE EMPLOYEE VOLUNTEER GRANT PROGRAMS: WHAT ARE THEY AND HOW DO THEY BENEFIT THE SALVATION ARMY?
What do ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips have in common? Hint, it’s not just oil!
They both offer volunteer grant programs. Companies provide monetary donations to eligible nonprofits such as a way to recognize employees who volunteer. These grants enable corporations to give back to their communities and support organizations that employees are already passionate about.
Although volunteer grants are a relatively new form of corporate giving, they’re widely offered among Fortune 500 companies and are catching on at smaller firms. For instance:
- ExxonMobil’s Volunteer Program provides $500 grants for 20 volunteer hours.
- ConocoPhillips’s Volunteer Program provides $500 grants for 20 volunteer hours.
- CarMax’s Matching Hours Program awards $10 for every hour volunteered.
In fact, hundreds of companies offer volunteer grant programs with donations generally ranging from $10 to $15 per hour volunteered.
HOW DO VOLUNTEER GRANT PROGRAMS WORK?
Volunteer grant programs are an easy way for volunteers to provide an additional monetary contribution without having to take out their checkbooks. If you’re already volunteering with The Salvation Army, please take a few minutes to check if your employer or your spouse’s employer offers grants for volunteering – grants that could equal hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars for us.
WANT TO HELP?
Are you one of our many volunteers who work for companies with volunteer grant programs? To find out, search our database of companies with volunteer grant programs by clicking here.
We provide you with as much of the following as possible:
- Up-to-date company policies
- Minimum volunteer hours required
- Printed forms or links to the online submission process
- Our nonprofit’s contact information (Tax ID, address, fundraising contact)
If your company isn’t listed, make sure to check with HR as there are many additional companies out there who offer volunteer grant programs.