What is a Corporate Match and how do they benefit The Salvation Army?
Corporate matching gift programs are charitable giving programs setup by corporations in which the company matches donations made by employees to eligible nonprofit organizations. For example, if a donor works for Chevron and donates $100 to The Salvation Army, Chevron will double the donation by also writing a check for $100.
Thousands of companies offer matching gift programs. A few examples include:
- Chevron Corporation – Matches donation with $1:$1 up to $10,000 annually per employee and retiree.
- ConocoPhillips – Matches donations with $1:$1 up to $10,000 annually per employee and retiree.
- Shell Oil Co. – Matches donations with $1:$1 up to $5,500 annually per employee and retiree.
The impact of these programs can be substantial! In 2011, Microsoft matched $48.9 million worth of employee donations to schools and 501(c)(3) nonprofits. Did you know that more than 15 million employees work for companies with matching gift programs?
Want to help The Salvation Army?
Increasing fundraising from matching gifts isn’t rocket science. Last year we raised over $100,000 from matching gifts. We know many of our donors work for companies with matching gift programs and we’ve set a goal of raising $150,000 from these programs. If we meet our goal, we’ll be able to better meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
You can immediately assess your eligibility and gain access to detailed corporate giving information about your employer by searching our database of companies with matching gift programs.
We provide you with as much of the following as possible:
- Up-to-date company policies
- Minimum volunteer hours required
- Printed forms or links to the online submission process
- Our nonprofit’s contact information (Tax ID, address, fundraising contact)
If your company isn’t listed, make sure to check with HR as there are many additional companies out there who offer volunteer grant programs. We wish we could submit the required form for you, but unfortunately the employee must submit it. We appreciate you taking five minutes to double your donation.
Are you ready to double your giving? Click here to get started.