The Salvation Army and Midwest Food Bank Partner to Serve Hurricane Survivors
The Salvation Army and Midwest Food Bank, a long-time disaster partner, are working together to add emergency supplies to the growing relief operations supporting those impacted by Hurricane Harvey. Midwest Food Bank will be collecting items to sort into food boxes and hygiene kits. These supplies will be delivered to disaster sites by Midwest Food Bank, where they are distributed to those in need by The Salvation Army.
Mike Hoffman, Disaster of Operations for Midwest Food Bank, shared that “Since Hurricane Katrina, The Salvation Army and Midwest Food Bank have partnered together to deliver over 275,000 food boxes to disaster events. By working together, we can support survivors in a coordinated fashion.”
Midwest Food Bank locations are accepting donations Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM:
- Bloomington, IL 2031 Warehouse Road Normal, IL 61761 Phone: (309) 663-5350
- Indianapolis, IN 6450 S Belmont St. Indianapolis, IN 46217 Phone: (317) 786-8980
- Morton, IL 700 Erie Avenue Morton, IL 61550 Phone: (309) 291-0900
- Peoria, IL 9005 N Industrial Rd. Peoria, IL 61615 Phone: (309) 691-5270
- Peachtree City, GA 220 Parkade Ct. Peachtree City, GA 30269 Phone: (770) 486-1103
- Fort Myers, FL 5601 Division Drive Fort Myers, FL 33905 Phone: (239) 690-1722
- Gilbert, AZ 725 E. Baseline Road Gilbert, AZ 85233 Phone: (515) 210-9400
Food items must be packaged in sturdy cans, boxes or bags. Avoid items packaged in glass. Acceptable items include:
- Canned meals (soup, stews, chili)
- Tuna (or other canned meats)
- Boxed instant meals (mac n cheese, hamburger helper)
- Peanut butter
- Canned fruit
- Canned vegetables
- Canned or bagged beans
- Pasta & spaghetti sauce
- Healthy snacks
Baby supplies may include formula, food, bottles, pacifiers, diapers and wipes.
- Hair brushes and combs
- Feminine hygiene products
- Body wipes
- Hand sanitizer
- Water and beverages.
- Chocolate and other candies.
- Perishable items, such as fresh fruit, vegetables, bread, and pastries.
- Flour or sugar
To make a financial donation to support the Hurricane Harvey relief efforts please go to www.helpsalvationarmy.org, call 1-800- SAL-ARMY, text STORM to 51555.
No used clothing or bottled water can be accepted. Right now, disaster areas are overwhelmed with those two commodities. But, you can always donate clothing and additional used items to your local Salvation Army Family Store, which helps support Salvation Army programs in your community.
For the latest information please go to www.disaster.salvationarmy.org and watch for regular updates on our social media pages at www.facebook.com/SalArmyEDS/ and www.twitter.com/salarmyeds. To access photo and video resources related to The Salvation Army Hurricane Harvey relief efforts please go to www.salvationarmysouth.org/harvey.
About Midwest Food Bank
“Midwest Food Bank is a faith based organization and their mission is to alleviate hunger and poverty by gathering and distributing food donations to not-for-profits and disaster sites without cost to the recipients. For more information please go to www.midwestfoodbank.org/.”